Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Tuesday at the AAN meeting

The day started early with a 5 AM hotel wake up call. The 5K Run for Research took place at 6:30 this morning, with about 100 participants -- including myself. 

I hit the exhibits today for the first time. Of course, all the big pharmaceutical companies were present with their flashy displays and gifts (I picked up a book reading light, a solar-powered recharger, and, of course, pens). But the highlight of the exhibits was what I call "Pauper Alley". This was the area where the not-for-profit foundations looking to gain attention for their particular cause were allowed to set up booths. I had the pleasure of meeting the staff of the Jain Foundation (link below in "links of interest to neuropathologists"), which is dedicated to research into cures for limb girdle muscular dystrophy 2B (dysferlinopathy). I was involved several months ago in the diagnosis of a patient with this rare disease, and I had the honor of meeting a young man with dysferlinopathy (also known as Myoshi myopathy).  At another booth, I met an older gentleman with adult polyglucosan body disease. Both of these people were wheelchair-bound, but completely intact cognitively and dedicated to their cause. I was impressed with these little organizations that were trying to make a difference.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Those exhibits are a blast!

No way would I ever be caught running at 6:30 a.m.

Neuropathology Blog is Signing Off

Neuropathology Blog has run its course. It's been a fantastic experience authoring this blog over many years. The blog has been a source...